Do you practice KY despite YB?

Kundalini Yoga, White Tantric Yoga, Ashrams, Daily Life...
Senin

Do you practice KY despite YB?

Post by Senin »

I have always dabbled in various kinds of yoga. One time I obtained a KY tape from Gurumarkha. I tried it. I loved it. I started practicing to it regularly. So I investigated KY further. The more I looked the less I was fond of the organization. So, I got to the point of, I loved the practiced, but I knew it was all thrown together by a con man. So I face a dilemma. Keep practicing or stop altogether?

Anybody else come to this crossroad?
What did you do?

Now I practice hatha yoga but I do some asanas dynamically and include some breath of fire. I don't want to acknowledge that I am doing KY.

forget-me-not

Re: Do you practice KY despite YB?

Post by forget-me-not »

No, no more KY.

Both the yoga and the religion drew me in to 3HO, but over time KY seemed to always hurt me. It felt too harsh and the meditations were too busy- not contemplative enough. Sikhism OTOH felt like what I had been searching for all my life, especially when all the complexities that Bhajan added to it were stripped away.

So I had no desire to continue KY after leaving Bhajanism but I very much desired to keep my relationship with the Guru. I don't consider myself a good Sikh, but I still consider myself a Sikh.

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

If I were to do yoga again it would be Hatha yoga for the gentle stretching. My journey into yoga started with a Hatha yoga class during a high school fair. Then my boyfriend introduced me to "Richard Hittleman's 28 Day Yoga Plan." That still seems like a good method.

In that Hatha yoga class, the teacher taught us "bellows breath" which was exactly the same thing as Bhajan's "breath of fire."

Way I see it, every school of yoga was originally taken from somewhere else, "improved upon" and rebranded. Bhajan took yoga from other sources and altered it to make KY his brand. If others can make up yoga, why shouldn't you? It's your body; do what feels good!

daansingh

Post by daansingh »

hatha yoga was the orginial...invented by Gorakhanath...prehistory

daansingh

Post by daansingh »

yoga is ok if not for religious purposes but as a physical excerise.

i asked this on the old forum but really did not get any responses. food..still vegetarians...pure.
or, do you enjoy a hamger and fries now and again? or, a t-bone steak?

Hawthorn

Post by Hawthorn »

I boycott Bhajanist businesses and products. I ask friends to boycott them. I freely use any part of "the teachings" and do not credit Yogi Bhajan.

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

daansingh wrote:yoga is ok if not for religious purposes but as a physical excerise.

i asked this on the old forum but really did not get any responses. food..still vegetarians...pure.
or, do you enjoy a hamger and fries now and again? or, a t-bone steak?
Yoga is not OK for religious purposes if one is a Sikh, but this isn't strictly a Sikh forum. Perhaps yogic beliefs conflict with other religions as well? I dunno. But I agree with you that there's no problem doing yoga as a form of exercise.

And I'm omnivorous.

explorer

Post by explorer »

Of all the reels of film of YB I have not seen a single film of him doing KY.

There a few very early photos of him in lotus pose, but that is it. It has always struck me as odd.

Is then any film of YB doing kundalini yoga? Did anyone ever see him practising?

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

Like you, I saw some early photos of him doing lotus pose and maybe stretch pose or something similar. But from the mid 70's to the late 90's I never saw him actually do any yoga.

Niyam11

Post by Niyam11 »

I have only had positive experiences related to Kundalini Yoga. I have also always been an independent thinker and very cautious about "drinking the Kool aid" whether from religious, philosophical, or educational institutions.

The only thing that ever turned me off a little is seeing the large photos/posters of Yogi Bhajan in the studio. When I began, I instinctively felt that I didn't want to look at him as a master or guru or anything like that. That is my only slightly negative feeling about KY. Otherwise I have always felt the practice, meditations, and mantra to be relaxing as well as centering. All of the teachers and students I have come across have been good people. As with any group of people, I'm sure there are those that maybe do treat this practice in a cult-like manner. But, again, all of the teachers I have met with are very respectful of individuality and never have pushed any agenda.

I started practicing after Yogi Bhajan died so I have no way of forming any opinion on him. Of course, It's extremely disconcerting to read of the allegations against him. I have searched the internet to find conclusions on these lawsuits. What was his defense? Somewhere I read both lawsuits were expunged. But it's difficult to get any tangible information other than court documents regarding the allegations.

If YB is guilty of committing abuses against his students, this of course in horrifying. But, there is a separation between the man/teacher and the practice of Kundalini Yoga. He did not create Kundalini Yoga, he was the first person to bring it the United States/Western World. This does not mean that the yoga practice itself is a sham or harmful. Kundalini yoga has been around for centuries, from my understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini_yoga