Mantra Chants

Kundalini Yoga, White Tantric Yoga, Ashrams, Daily Life...
Senin

Mantra Chants

Post by Senin »

Can someone let me know where the chants came from?

Ong namo guru dev nam

and

Sa Ta Na Ma

Not the fake Yogi Bhajan version but the actual version.

thanks

forget-me-not

Re: Mantra Chants

Post by forget-me-not »

Welcome to the forum, Senin.

Off the top of my head I'd say that Yogi Bhajan made them up, but I'm willing to be corrected.

Hawthorn

Post by Hawthorn »

My objection to Yogi Bhajan mixing Sikhi and yoga is that the Reht forbids the taking of bits and pieces of Gurbani and reciting them as magical mantras for personal boons. If you’re going to do Kundalini Yoga, fine, but please leave Gurbani out of it.

Yogi Bhajan took bits and pieces of Sikh scriptures and turned them into mantras.

He got EK ONG KAR SAT NAM SIRI WAHE GURU from Virsa Singh.

Guru Ram Das, the 4th Guru of the Sikhs who died in 1581, gave Yogi Bhajan Wahe Wahe Guru Wahe Guru Ram Das Guru. Bhajanists call it:

The Guru Mantra: Guru Guru Wahe Guru, Guru Ram Das Guru

This is a mantra of self-healing, humility, relaxation, protective grace, and emotional relief. It calls on the spirit of humility and grace of Guru Ram Das. The Guru Mantra is an ashtang mantra. Ashtang mantras have eight parts. They catalyze the kundalini energy to initiate through your own effort and devotion. The first part of the mantra, Guru Guru Wahe Guru, projects the mind to the Infinite, the source of knowledge and ecstasy. The second part, Guru Ram Das Guru, means “the wisdom that comes as a servant of the Infinite.” This mantra projects the mind to the Infinite and then brings finite guidance on a practical level.

Yogi Bhajan made up really twisted mantras. Hum Dum Hav Sum Rum

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

Hawthorn wrote:Yogi Bhajan took bits and pieces of Sikh scriptures and turned them into mantras.
This is true.
Guru Ram Das, the 4th Guru of the Sikhs who died in 1581, gave Yogi Bhajan Wahe Wahe Guru Wahe [sic] Guru Ram Das Guru. Bhajanists call it:

The Guru Mantra: Guru Guru Wahe Guru, Guru Ram Das Guru...
We don't know for a fact that that's true. We only know he said Guru Ram Das gave it to him.

Bhajan was a master of self-promotion and deception, or in plain English, a big, fat liar. He lied about so many things, especially when it came to his past and his qualifications as a yogi and spiritual teacher.

Hawthorn

Post by Hawthorn »

Yogi Bhajan lied about that too?

daansingh

Post by daansingh »

sa ta na ma...each of the chakras has a lotus associated with i...t each lotus petal has a sound associated with it these may have come from there... i don't have my reference with me..."the serpent power" by arthur avalon "(pen name")

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

Hawthorn wrote:Yogi Bhajan lied about that too?
There's no way to know. We don't know it's true, we only know he said it was true. A sociopath never says anything without having an ulterior motive.

Hawthorn

Post by Hawthorn »

Guru Ram Das may have personally given Yogi Bhajan the Wahe Wahe Guru Wahe Guru Ram Das Guru mantra, but I bet Yogi Bhajan made it up like the other mantras.

MSS Krishna Kaur Khalsa says Yogi Bhajan received the mantra from Guru Ram Das on the 1970 India trip after his teacher "betrayed him".

Philip Deslippe says that after the trip Virsa Singh was written out of Bhajanist history, and Guru Ram Das, Sant Haraza Singh, and Lama Lilan Po emerged as his lineage. According to Deslippe, Yogi Bhajan changed his story from washing floors and receiving an enlightening experience from Virsa Singh to washing floors at Darbar Sahib.

Niyam11

Post by Niyam11 »

Many of the mantras that are used in Kundalini yoga come from the Sikh religion.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Mool_Mantar

Although there is controversy over what Yogi Bhajan taught, Sikh religion and practices should not be discounted.