Kundalini Yoga - My Wake Up Call

Kundalini Yoga, White Tantric Yoga, Ashrams, Daily Life...
Lama Lilan Po Ph.D.

Re: Kundalini Yoga - My Wake Up Call

Post by Lama Lilan Po Ph.D. »

Hi Greenheart,

Thanks for joining the forum. There are many lurking KY students who have exactly the same qualms about this that you have raised so well.

Forget-me-not's description of the fake mantras, relentless hyperventilation and contortionist exercises invented by Bhajan are a good starting point for looking further into the nature of destructive groups like the one he created.

You asked Now that YB is dead am I still funding a corrupt cult by participating in the teacher training?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes. The purpose of IKYTA is to spread the so-called teachings and to further the aims of the organization he left behind. If you pursue IKYTA's certification you will be complicit in the corruption.

stevenvincent

Post by stevenvincent »

greenheart, all yoga is "kundalini yoga". It is all designed to ultimately unite the root chakra with the base chakra and bring the mind to one pointed awareness, samadhi and mukti. The kundalini energy is a means to an end. It unites the chakras and nadis and in so doing it influences the mind energy to one pointed awareness that makes full samadhi and thus mukti possible. There are quite a variety of ways to raise the kundalini and what will work for one person may not work for another. The practice you take up depends on svadyaya (self-study, self-knowledge).

Kundalini energy in the absence of a real meditation practice is meaningless or DANGEROUS. If you arouse kundalini and she has no where to go and no properly prepared channels she will rage out of control and wreak havoc. Get a real meditation practice first. Learn to practice svadhyaya and know yourself and develop a sense of what you need to do to release the ego and accept the Divine. There are many many many practices to choose from. Simply Buddhist mindfulness or vipassana meditation is a good place to start. Try these things and learn about why your mind will not sit still. When you start to have a clue about that you can build a practice that includes energy work.

Essentially there are two paths to liberation (I'm simplifying here). The path of Raja Yoga and Buddhism focuses on calming the "citta vritti", the fluctuations and disturbances of the mind, through practices of focus and concentration and withdrawal of the senses (dharana and pratyahara). Eventually, as a result of a calmed, focused mind, the meditator achieves samadhi, and when samadhi becomes stable, the crown chakra becomes ready to unite with kundalini and she rises to meet shiva in the crown. Then the united shiva-shakti energy descends back to the root, dissolving the chakras and uniting the nadis. This leads to mukti, liberation.

The tantric path seeks to activate the chakras, balance them, stimulate the release of kundalini while opening the crown chakra and unite root to crown. Because there is an intimate link between mind and energy, when the energy becomes established and steady in the central channel, the mind also becomes centered and eventually established in samadhi, which leads to mukti. There are various means of working the energy body. Some are very physical, others are more subtle.

One can also combine the mental disciplines with the tantric energy work, as I do.

There is no magic pill. It's a lot of work and dedication and no guarantees of success. But if you feel a strong calling to spiritual attainment, you should follow it and be open to where it leads. Don't grasp on to "the answer". Real paths and real teachers will give you good suggestions about where to look both inside yourself and outside and good suggestions about practices to try. Ultimately it is all about you and your practice and your relationship with the Divine. No one can do it for you or give you the answers. Practice, practice, practice and more practice.

Antion Vikram Singh

Post by Antion Vikram Singh »

Steven Vincent, perhaps you do not know of the path to liberation given by Guru Nanak Sahib. it is the path of Sikhi and uses the priniciple of Naam.

Naam is often translated as name, as in the Name of God, but it is so much more than that. To practice Naam is to imbue oneself with the very essence and identity of the Divine. To live a life of service (seva) and sharing with others (vand chakna),

Guru Nanak eschewed the intellectual practices of Buddhism and the yogic practices of Tantra. In the Siri Guru Granth Sahib he and his successors many times talk about the fruitlessness of such practices without love of and devotion to the Divine, as well as the service of humanity.

Most of those who post here are very familiar with Guru Nanak's philosophy. The Bhajanists may want to confuse themselves with kundalini and the study of chakras but gursikhs are content in the simplicity of Sikhi. Truly, if they want to think of themselves as Sikhs, this is the path the Bhajanists should be following.

KamallaKaur

Post by KamallaKaur »

Hi Steven Vincent and Greenheart,

Thank you so much for being here.

If the question is, do I have a spiritual path, a purpose and calling this life?

Everyone must explore that question, or not, themselves, of course.

But, if the answer is "yes" then this is a big important lesson on the Path, whether we be Buddhist, Tantric, Vedantic, Sikh, Muslim, Taoist, Jew or Christian.

The big lesson is that we all can get conned. We can be oppressed, manipulated and exploited. The bad guys/gals are simply better at being bad than the good are. Not only CAN anyone and everyone fall into cults and cult mind control, everyone DOES, all the time.

Given that extreme religious cults are such a problem, like Isis for example, you'd think that everyone would be studying and discussing and educating each other about cults and cult mind control.

What if people spent as much time learning about how advertisements and advertising works as they do looking at ads?

Beyond whether Kundalini Yoga and Tantrism, Buddhism, Sikhi, or other WAYS, including atheism, work for us, I think truth works. Truth is a big part of the any Path because everything else is cons and lies. This is a Sikh teaching for sure, but it is universal.

Interlude

Independent of religious and spiritual practices, and even beyond the money-sucking, I must warn everyone away from this group because of the politics. The issues here are genocide and torture of Sikhs, horrible child abuse, covering for pedophiles, and some very big names running for big offices.

greenheart

Post by greenheart »

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your input on this. I really appreciate your help and guidance.

Without the intention to offend anyone, I'm going to ask a very direct question to you:
Is there any actual proof of the lies behind kundalini yoga? It seems to be a form of yoga that is known and respected globally and I have definitely had some positive health benefits from practicing (lower blood pressure, lost weight). I also felt I was mentally in a good place as a result. Finding my path, etc. What is the proof that this forum is not being run by a group of disgruntled Sikhs who want to sully the name of kundalini because they feel that it is offensive to their religion? (again, no intention to offend here - I just want the truth and have a hard time trusting the internet or organised religion). Everything negative that I have seen online seems to be coming from Sikhnet, etc and, some of the main protagonists against kundalini sound very angry and erratic so I don't really trust them.

Lama Lilan Po Ph.D.

Post by Lama Lilan Po Ph.D. »

Greenheart,

You're asking good questions and you will doubtless receive answers from people who know a great deal about kundalini in all its forms. You're fortunate that Antion Vikram Singh is posting in this thread already.

I'm not a Sikh and I do not do yoga. I can assure you that not all the people involved here are disgruntled Sikhs. In fact, the number of former members of Sikh Dharma/3HO who continue as practicing Sikhs after escaping the Yogi Bhajan camp is tiny. Some of them are involved here and I deeply appreciate their ongoing activism. It is true seva. (For your information, Gursant Singh does not participate on this forum.)

This forum has its roots in the work of people who began organizing ex-member forums in the early days of the internet. A lot of that effort might be called deprogramming via cyber space. The archivists here can direct you to those sites.

I can go on and on about the seedy side of an Indian conman and the criminally perverse authoritarian yoga empire he left behind. Of course you can find that on your own. And if you continue with the teacher training program you and your pocketbook will be welcome to visit it in person.

You strike me as an intelligent and careful person. I hope you'll take a look at this academic study of the origins of Yogi Bhajan's kundalini scam. Please continue to ask questions.
http://www.wackoworldofyogibhajan.net/f ... ?f=7&t=290

KamallaKaur

Post by KamallaKaur »

disgruntled Sikhs

Sikhs who want to sully the name of kundalini because they feel that it is offensive to their religion? - Greenheart
Kundalini has nothing to do with Sikhi and Sikhs resent Hindus/New Agers saying that it does have something to do with Sikhi. Why wouldn't they?

And it is a gross understatement to say that Sikhs are "disgruntled" with Yogi Bhajan and his group. Rather they suspect that Yogi Bhajan worked directly/intimately with Indira Gandhi and her government to orchestrate what happened in 1984. Read: The American Who Lived With Bhindranwale

In November 1984

As per official records over 3000 Sikhs were killed but the fact is, over 30,000 were killed (mostly burnt alive) throughout India and over 2,00,000 were displaced.

Hundreds of Sikh women gang raped throughout India by goons, police officers and civil administrators and told that next generation (after rape) will be loyal to Government.

Hundreds of Gurudwaras and thousands of Guru Granth Sahibs were burnt and desecrated.

Around 300 Sikh soldiers done to death in uniform by fellow soldiers.

120 Sikhs working at the Bokaro Steel Plant Jharkhand thrown alive into burning furnaces.

Children as old as 13 days of age roasted alive on gas stoves in Kanpur and other cities in India.

In Agartala, Tripura 40 Sikh families who took refuge in a police station to save their lives were burnt alive in the police station.

In Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh 12 Sikhs were hanged from the ceiling at the railway platform.

Small children killed ruthlessly by pulling their legs apart while their mothers being raped.

In Haryana and Madhya Pradesh Sikh women taken into hostage and raped during November 1984, still held in captivity by the goons.

Sikh women taken from refugee camps and raped even after November 6, 1984.

Sikhs on public roads burnt alive, dragged out from trains and lynched on the railway platforms and set on fire

Property of Sikhs worth millions was looted and destroyed.

Massacre of Sikhs planned in a meeting organized at 24 Akbar Road, New Delhi on October 31, 1984 attended by members of Parliament and senior members of the Congress party including Jagdish Tytler, Sajjan Kumar, Kamal Nath, Dharam Das Shastri, Vasant Sathe, HKL Bhagat, Lalit Makhen, Arjun Das amongst others.

State media showed inflammatory speeches and scenes. Popular movie stars like Amitabh Bachchan shown on state television raising slogans like "Khoon ka badla khoon" (blood for blood) and "Khoon ke chintey sikhon ke ghar tak pahunchni chahiye" (Splashes of blood should reach the doorsteps of Sikhs).

Police commondos from Police headquarters Madhuban, Haryana on the orders of Bhajan Lal, the then Chief Minister of Haryana send to commit the massacre of Sikhs.

Expert arsonists and professional goons brought from outside and transported to different areas in Government buses. Supplied with inflammable materials to burn Sikhs, Sikh houses, businesses and Sikh temples.

Police either actively participated in committing the massacre of Sikhs or stood as silent spectators while Sikhs burnt alive. Police even supplied diesel from police jeeps to the arsonists. Police disarmed the Sikhs before mobs attacked them.

No curfew imposed or army called while most of the killings took place. When army called, deliberately designed to be ineffective.

After 25 years the organizers and perpetrators of the Genocide roam free and even enjoy positions of power. None punished for killings of the Sikhs.

Ten commissions have failed to bring Justice. Affidavits filed before commissions found lying at the residences of those accused of organizing and committing the massacre.

Clean chits given to the guilty by the investigative agencies despite testimonies of witnesses.
The guilty remain unpunished.

After 30 years the victims await Justice.

forget-me-not

Post by forget-me-not »

greenheart wrote:Can anyone recommend another form of yoga/meditation that they feel has similar effects?

Thank you so much for any guidance and/or support that you can offer.
Hi, greenheart. Maybe there's a meditation technique in this article that will click with you:
Type of Meditation: An Overview of 23 Meditation Techniques

For me personally, I'm in agreement with Kamalla re: meditation. The mantras that YB taught came mostly from the words of the Sikh Gurus. Going to the source, reading their words from the Siri Guru Granth Sahib made me feel far happier than all the yoga and meditation that YB taught. I'm not trying to proselytize. Just sharing my experience.

If you like the KY mantras, which are just little fragments of the Guru's poetic teachings, maybe try reading the Guru's words in their wholeness and see how they resonate with you. You don't have to be a Sikh to read from the Guru. No one will ever try to convert you. No one will demand your allegiance or your money.

HTH!