Fake it to make it!

Kundalini Yoga, White Tantric Yoga, Ashrams, Daily Life...
Archivist1

Fake it to make it!

Post by Archivist1 »

YB was using the fake it line as early as 1972. It was his way of saying, "if you hear what I'm telling you, then stay the fuck away from me!"

Yogi Bhajan shares:

You know, there was a person... this lady, she met me in the airplane. I was waiting for bathroom and she just came and stood behind me and she said, "Aren't you Yogi Bhajan?"

I said, "I think so." I mean, you know, introducing myself is very difficult. They know me anyway. I said, "Yeah, I think so, I'm Yogi Bhajan."

"I want to talk to you."

I said, "Here?"

She said, "Where I can get you? This is the best place."

I said, "Well, my dear, you know..."

She said, "Don't worry, nobody will bother. I want to talk to you one thing."

I said, "What is it?"

She said, "I want instant enlightenment."

I said, "Well, go to Mahesh Yogi. He does that kind of stuff."

She said, "I have been to him."

I said, "Go to this Kriya Yoga, there are a lot of people who do that."

I said, "I don't do anything instant except instant tea." Instant tea, you know, you put it in and it becomes tea.

She said, "No, no, no. Now you are joking. Could you be straight with me? I want... I don't want to accept you as Guru, I don't want to get initiated more, I don't want to give you anything. I have been ripped off enough."

I said, "Everybody has been ripped off. You are not the only one. I got ripped off, also."

She said, "How did you get ripped off?"

I said, "You are ripping me off. You are not paying my fee. You are taking my time. I am waiting for bathroom. You want me to give you a whole lecture. Right now, instant enlightenment. I mean, that is too much. It costs money. Maybe ten thousand dollars, twenty thousand dollars."

She said, "I'm not going to pay a penny."

I said, "I agree with you. Your honesty is not, but your experience that you have suffered enough. Anyway, you paid my friends (the other gurus), thank you very much. Well, you know, everybody who is spiritually commercial and cheats others and takes away the money is one of the biggest frauds on the earth and everybody does it. Why not? We all, animals live off each other. It's totally ridiculous to deny it."

She said, "No, no, no."

I said, "Well, I'd like to compensate the situation like this."

She said, "What?"

I said, "Just feel," this is what I said..."just feel your spine is a light tube... light.
Just personify, just imagine. Just imagine your spine is a tube of light."

She said, "What kind?"

I said, "Just a tube light." Right over us on the airplane there was a kind of glass. Underneath there was a tube light. I said, "Just feel your spine is a tube light. And your two eyes are like a lighthouse lights, or the airport lights." And, I said, "Keep on imagining this."

She said, "What will happen?"

I said, "I don't know. Something instant will happen when you perfect this imagination."

She said, "How?"

I said, "When you make fake look real, real gets ashamed and walks in." Don't you know that? Hey, you don't know that? Fake it and you'll make it?

Are you with me?
Gurdwara lecture, 2-28-1988
Edited 10/20/2003 3:53:34 PM ET by ROSELOTUS1

Archivist1

Re: Fake it to make it!

Post by Archivist1 »

Here it that same vignette again, with Ken's comments:

You know, there was a person... this lady, she met me in the airplane. I was waiting for bathroom and she just came and stood behind me and she said, "Aren't you Yogi Bhajan?"

<Is this an accusation? Why "aren't you" and not "are you"?>

I said, "I think so." I mean, you know, introducing myself is very difficult. They know me anyway. I said, "Yeah, I think so, I'm Yogi Bhajan."

<YB apparently agrees to talk sideways.>

"I want to talk to you."

I said, "Here?"

She said, "Where I can get you? This is the best place."

<get me WHAT?>

I said, "Well, my dear, you know..."

She said, "Don't worry, nobody will bother. I want to talk to you one thing."

I said, "What is it?"

She said, "I want instant enlightenment."

<DMT. Definitely DMT>

I said, "Well, go to Mahesh Yogi. He does that kind of stuff."

She said, "I have been to him."

I said, "Go to this Kriya Yoga, there are a lot of people who do that. I don't do anything instant except instant tea." Instant tea, you know, you put it in and it becomes tea.

She said, "No, no, no. Now you are joking. Could you be straight with me? I want... I don't want to accept you as Guru, I don't want to get initiated more, I don't want to give you anything. I have been ripped off enough."

<Instant enlightenment, for free. No money down, no obligation, no interest, shipping or handling fees. Where else would you go but YB?>

I said, "Everybody has been ripped off. You are not the only one. I got ripped off, also."

She said, "How did you get ripped off?"

I said, "You are ripping me off. You are not paying my fee. You are taking my time. I am waiting for bathroom. You want me to give you a whole lecture. Right now, instant enlightenment. I mean, that is too much. It costs money. Maybe ten thousand dollars, twenty thousand dollars."

She said, "I'm not going to pay a penny."

<this is NOT the start of a promising negotiation>

I said, "I agree with you. Your honesty is not, but your experience that you have suffered enough. Anyway, you paid my friends (the other gurus), thank you very much. Well, you know, everybody who is spiritually commercial and cheats others and takes away the money is one of the biggest frauds on the earth and everybody does it. Why not? We all, animals live off each other. It's totally ridiculous to deny it."

<"your honesty is not, but your experience that you have suffered enough." Your grammar is not, but your audience that you have blithered enough. What on earth does he mean by this sentence, and what happens to a human mind that tries to comprehend it in context?>

She said, "No, no, no."

I said, "Well, I'd like to compensate the situation like this."

She said, "What?"

<What else do you say to a sentence like that? Excuse me, but you seem to have misfiled a verb?>

I said, "Just feel," this is what I said..."just feel your spine is a light tube... light. Just personify, just imagine. Just imagine your spine is a tube of light."

<given that she says she has done yoga, he guesses that she is familiar with this metaphor. Given that she is seeking enlightenment from YB, he guesses that she will fall for his change of subject>

She said, "What kind?"

<helium-neon laser? mercury vapor? they didn't have glow sticks back then, did they?>

I said, "Just a tube light." Right over us on the airplane there was a kind of glass. Underneath there was a tube light. I said, "Just feel your spine is a tube light. And your two eyes are like a lighthouse lights, or the airport lights." And, I said, "Keep on imagining this."

She said, "What will happen?"

I said, "I don't know. Something instant will happen when you perfect this imagination."

<while secretly I thought "you will fly through the sky at seven hundred miles an hour and burn thousands of gallons of jet fuel">

She said, "How?"

I said, "When you make fake look real, real gets ashamed and walks in." Don't you know that? Hey, you don't know that? Fake it and you'll make it?

<and what better example than YB?>

Are you with me?
Gurdwara lecture, 2-28-1988