Sleep Deprivation

Kundalini Yoga, White Tantric Yoga, Ashrams, Daily Life...
Archivist1

Sleep Deprivation

Post by Archivist1 »

Due to lack of sleep, I remember:
(1) While driving the Ashram van, falling asleep at a stop light and waking up when the other drivers behind me started blowing their horns;
(2) Falling asleep in a movie just at it began and someone waking me up when the movie was over; and
(3) Sleeping standing up while waiting in a line in a store to pay.

I was always falling asleep in the movies! I think that may have been not just sleep deprivation, though--it could have possibly been all the candy/popcorn/coca-cola that I usually ate when we went to the movies! Why was it ok to eat that stuff at the movies?! We seemed to be allowed to do it then and nobody said anything.

I can remember falling asleep in sadhana many times, but I certainly was not the only one, nor was I one of the worst. This was especially true of DC, where many worked late nights in the GT restaurant (the clean up crew was sometimes there until 11 PM-midnight, especially on Saturday, when they did an all-out clean-up).

I lived in the Amsterdam Ashram for about four years. I taught a Yoga Class once a week in Rotterdam (about an hour away by train). Once I fell asleep and woke up the stop past Rotterdam. I had to wait for the next train going back to Rotterdam and was quite late for the class. The dedicated Yoga Students all waited patiently for me. I was lucky that I woke up when I did. It was an express train and the the next stop after the stop I woke up at was Brussels, Belgium.

I would always fall asleep on the train ride back from Rotterdam to Amsterdam too. Once a cleaner woke me up. The train had been sitting at the Amsterdam Station (the last stop) for an hour. It was too late for the Trams to run and I didn't have money for a Taxi, so I had to walk home to the Ashram.

Archivist1

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Post by Archivist1 »

Hey the marines, too, especially training, they told us we were guaranteed one hour a day sleep. They used to transport us from range to range in 'cattle' cars, truck trailers converted to move troops. Packed so tight I put my helmet on top of my rifle barrel, rested my head on it and snoozed away standing up. No fear of falling everyone was packed so close you couldn't.

It's kind of interesting that the U.S. military establishment does not consider sleep deprivation of Al Queda prisoners to be torture. How we know this not to be true!

I used to hear that SSS (Yogi Bhajan) only needed 2 hrs per night; this was the established goal for all fledgelings. If we did about 4 hrs total yoga in one 24 hr period, then it seemed that the total sleep requirement decreased from about 7 hrs to 4-6 hours. I never could get my time down any lower than 4 hours/day. I remember catching a few winks at lunch hour at Nirbao's business and having the hardest time getting up. One time I fell asleep in the Nirbao's living room and one of their young sons crawled on top of me. In my unconsciousness, I roughly pushed him off, and I still remember Nirbao's sharp admonition.

But the most dramatic occurrence was driving with Sat Guru? Singh and asking him to drive 'cause I was nodding off. I opened my eyes to see we were driving down the wrong side of an Oregon two-lane highway! Hey!

For the last 20 yrs, I've considered sleep to be one of the true blessings in life which costs nothing. Now instead of decreasing the amount of time in sleep, I am more inclined to try to qualify the intensity and implications of the dream state. This is more rewarding and more in line with the ancient rhythms whereby people would hit the hay around dark time and get up at daylight. From 9:30 to 5:00 am is how many hours? For married couples, this is a time to speak privately, make love, and be together as one. That is, if they aren't doing the NATURAL thing - sawing logs in melodic symphony!

Archivist1

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Post by Archivist1 »

Ever teach a Kundalini Yoga class and fall asleep during Long Deep Relaxation? Wake up and the building is empty and dark?

Heard once that Yogi Bhajan had cards made up that said something like, "Do Sadhana!" Any problem anyone brought to him, he'd just hand them the card.

YB really really pushed sleep deprivation and I think he felt we got out of control when we stopped rising pre-dawn and slept some.