It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:18 am 

"He did not create Kundalini Yoga"

Actually he did - at least "Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan"

Check it out:
From Maharaj to Mahan Tantric...

KY is indeed an ancient science. YB's version is a pastiche of yoga and mantras borrowed from different sources.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:59 pm 

I went through a similar journey as the original poster. And I still do the yoga.

All yoga is "made up," in a sense. Sri Pattabhi Jois developed Ashtanga, Swami Sivananda developed the Rishikesh series. Now, granted, they didn't come up with a Cock-and-bull story about the origin of their yoga, as YB did (which speaks volumes to his character.) But I find the weekly classes I attend to be wonderfully peaceful and enjoyable. The young man who teaches them, who grew up in the tradition, must be the nicest man I've ever yet. I doubt he'll ever sexually harass me-- he seems pretty attached to his boyfriend. He hits me up for a small donation each week, but it's my pleasure to hand the money directly to the teacher, as opposed to the studio. To me, he is the face of KY. Perhaps not surprisingly, I've never heard him mention YB once.

I listen to a lot of Spirit Voyage artists, and I've read some of their books. There are a lot of people associated with 3HO who are doing great things. For example, Ramdesh and her new book on body-acceptance. I wonder if there will be a movement towards repudiating, or at least minimizing, YB in the future. I'm not holding my breath. But I'm not going to throw out the baby with the bath water either. Many of the signators of the Constitution were slaveholders, buts that's no reason to pitch the document.

If I were one of the folks who had been taken for a ride by YB in the past, I'm sure I'd want nothing to do with the yoga or the rest of it. And I think this website is extremely important. We all know what happens to those who forget history.

Offline Profile