It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:02 pm 

Former Hare Krishna devotee Nori Muster, an occasional contributor to Wacko World of Yogi Bhajan
viewtopic.php?t=796, has compiled a dream study in an attempt to document cult influence on her dreams. Her study is receiving some attention in the anti-cult world...
Here is a n excerpt from her introduction:

http://surrealist.org/dreams/april2018report.html

Dreams from Ten Years with the Hare Krishnas
By Nori Muster
A Dream Studies Foundation Grant Project

Contents
Update & Summary of the Materials
Snapshots from the Journal
Recycling the Past with Dream Journals

Update & Summary of the Materials

In 2017 I won a grant from the Dream Studies Foundation for seed money to study my dream journals. I had already transcribed some dreams in 2016, but my advisors asked me to also transcribe daytime notations because this would give researchers data about my waking concerns to compare to my dreams. The notebooks belong to the UC Santa Barbara Department of Special Research Collections, so the grant allowed me to travel to UCSB two times this year - January 6-20 and March 18-31. The reading room is open approximately forty hours a week, and I was there every day, typing. After as much as 160 hours over four weeks of full-time work, the transcript is now 465 pages (255,444 words).

The notebooks cover ten years of my experience in ISKCON, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness. ISKCON is the American iteration of a Hindu sect that venerates Lord Chaitanya, a saint born in Bengal in 1486. Commonly known as the Hare Krishnas, devotees were famous for their musical chanting on street corners and soliciting donations in airports. My memoir, Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement, documents my experiences.

I joined ISKCON June 19, 1978 and moved out December 26, 1988, for a total of ten years and six and a half months as a devotee. I started keeping a diary eight months into the experience, February 20, 1979.

Offline Profile