It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:53 pm 
As we've been saying...

Quote:
Revealed: Meditation can trigger depression and anxiety, according to new research that claims practice can release traumatic memories and psychological issues

• New report shows meditation could trigger depression and anxiety
  • This is due to people accessing new and overwhelming areas of their mind
  • People with mental illnesses are most at risk
  • Intensive meditation retreats could contribute to and heighten this reaction
  • Experts say meditation should not replace therapy in any case
  • People working through emotional issues should meditate with guidance

By Laura House For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 20:58 EST, 28 June 2015 | Updated: 21:00 EST, 28 June 2015

Meditation has long been said to do wonders for the brain and stress relief, new reports have challenged this idea and suggest that the practice could, in some cases, actually be causing harm.

Clinical cognitive and behavioural psychologist and mediation expert, Dr Paula Watkins, suggests that during meditation, people can be taken too far into the 'recesses’ of their minds and become overwhelmed with feelings of depression and anxiety.

'Some of these effects are incredibly mild but meditation is becoming increasingly popular and people are finally taking a break from their very busy day to day lives, and if there is any psychological issues, suppressed emotions or a history of trauma, that stuff can come up,' Dr Watkins told Daily Mail Australia.

Backed by years of research, Dr Watkins says intensive meditation retreats are the most common place for these effects to occur and labels them as a 'psychological boot camp’ for those who attend, especially after building up years of suppressed emotions.

'Intensive meditation retreats are not all bliss, a lot of stuff can come up when you are meditating ten hours a day for ten days...it can release blocked or suppressed emotions and memories,' Dr Watkins said.

'Even in our daily meditations the internal landscape of what's going on in our minds and bodies is always changing.'

It is suggested that if someone is experiencing any manic symptoms, they should not meditate or go to meditation retreats without getting the help of someone qualified to help them.

People who experience psychosis or schizophrenia are of biggest concerns to experts, as hallucinations and delusions can be worsened as they are 'mental events.'

'When meditation is happening all sorts of mental events arise and in meditation we are watching and directly paying attention to these events...and if they are coming from a place of mental illness there's the risk that the person is going to be paying more attention to them,' Dr Watkins said.

'It is not safe for them to be turning their attention inward unless they are meditating under the guidance of a registered health practitioner, meditation is not a replacement for therapy.'

Dr Watkins also recommends people identify what they want to achieve through meditation, so they can find a style suited to them and stresses it is not a substitute to therapy.

'I feel very strongly that people who meditate for the first time should be supported safely in a variety of different techniques until they find a technique that resonates well with them...research hasn't answers whether there is one style safer than others,' Dr Watkins said.

'It bothers me that people are saying their methods are better than others...meditation is not a regulated industry and if a technique is promoted as 'the best' there is no evidence to support this.'

Although people have suffered adverse reactions to various styles of meditation, Dr Watkins hopes the reports don't scare people away from meditation.

'For the bulk of people meditation is absolutely beneficial and it helps us to relax, get calm, increases blood flow to the frontal lobe and can even help cultivate compassion and empathy and a range of interpersonal benefits,' Dr Watkins said.

'People shouldn't be getting scared and nervous, meditation is a great thing but people just need to be aware of this information.'

Dr Watkins is hosting a live workshop on August 9th – 30th at the inYoga Studios in Surry Hills to introduce people to meditation, as well as a nine-week online course called Calm, Conscious and Connected.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:54 pm 
Of course, through the enlightened teachings of Yogi Bhajan, Kundalini Yoga teachers have safe and effective methods for helping their victims- oops! I mean "students" suffering from repressed memories, depression, anxiety or psychotic breaks triggered by Kundalini Yoga and Meditation: More meditation!

If that fails, they will be instructed to, "Just drop it!" ... followed by more meditation.

If that fails (because the student isn't trying hard enough), they should seek professional counseling from a non-qualified, fraudulently licensed psychologist in 3HO... who will prescribe them (you guessed it!) more meditation!

Those who seriously wish to recover should add sleep deprivation and extreme mono-diets to their healing protocol.

Those for whom these methods fail and who leave the cult are quitters who:
  • are weak,
  • aren't willing to give up their neurosis,
  • don't trust their teacher,
  • don't give "the technology" time to work,
  • leave because of their negativity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:33 pm 
I know I used meditation while in the Bhajan cult to transcend my child abuse issues, to get high, and become pure. Open those upper chakras and just forget about the other ones.

I now feel that Bhajanism is tremendously dangerous, and Kundalini Yoga, as we used to teach it at least, was way too yang-banging. Many people HAVE flipped out using Kundalini Crack and meditating too much.

I lost it while leaving the cult, way too much real life stress, abuse memories coming up, and wild meditation practices - and, in my case, compulsive writing. BOING!!!! I crossed into the INSANE world.

For me, therapy and Nanak's words popping into my mind, and the help of my friends, particularly fellow X-Bhajanists, helped bring me back to this planet. I started taking daily vaks from the Guru Granth instead of doing KY meditations, and I tried doing what the Sikh Guru instructed best I could each day - and that practice grounded me. Sometimes the Sikh Guru told me to look within, sometimes I was told to be brave and step out in a new direction - whatever. I was broken, and needed a disciplined grounding spiritual practice, one that help me choose to stay alive and sane on this planet.

Praying helped. Gardening, putting my hands into the earth and growing my own food was super helpful for me as well. Working. Making music with my friends. Writing - but not as compulsively - all helped bring me back.

I still need therapy, but these days the mental health system just gives out pills and I dunna do well on those sorts of chemicals. THEY didn't help me come back from insanity, and KY style meditations and chanting made me crazier too. Therapy, but not pills -so far - works for me.

What has helped others here recover mental health?

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 pm 
Quote:
What has helped others here recover mental health?
Hakomi Therapy. Working a 12-Step program for Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA), including getting a good ACA sponsor.

3HO is a dysfunctional, alcoholic family dynamic, writ large. YB was the central abusive addict around whom everyone else revolved and enabled. They still do. When I left my abusive family of origin and joined 3HO at the age of 17, all I did was jump out of the frying pan into the fire. I stayed in so long because I was such a good co-dependent. If I had come from a loving, functional, emotionally healthy family, I wouldn't have stayed with 3HO for a month.

I started going to ACA meetings in Santa Fe. My eyes opened for the first time, not only to my own sickness but also the sickness in 3HO. I shared what I was learning with some other sexual abuse survivors in the ashram. Word went around the ashram that I was getting help "outside." They started doing recovery work, too.

YB couldn't allow that. He called a meeting at the ranch for all incest survivors, then viciously shamed me in front of them and his inner circle of syncophants. I was devastated. After that, my credibility in the ashram was less than zero. The other women retreated, or maybe kept their recovery work secret, I dunno. I became a hermit in the ashram, kept going to therapy and meetings and left as soon as I could.

These books helped me a lot:

Grace Unfolding: Psychotherapy in the Spirit of the Tao-te ching

Stage 2 Recovery: Life Beyond Addiction

Co-Dependence: Misunderstood, Mistreated

When Society Becomes an Addict

The Addictive Organization

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:51 am 
I did a quick survey of a few pages in the original site (hadn't been there before) and not too close reading of not well organized comment about CIA helping incubate/develop various cults for folks with different types of interests to divert them from engagement in the 'real' world and participatory self-government-democracy and well the 'proof is in the pudding' as they say; we've become a nation of the 1 percent corporate elites and wealthy shareholders doing everything they can to successfully coop government for their advantage and the disadvantage / disinfranchisment of the 99 percent population. A very user-friendly and manageable number (the 1%) in charge of command and control.

3HO - Sikh Dharma

Devotion is the highest emotion therefore between devotional music (spiritual hymns) in gurdwara and being 'blissing out' with daily meditation we lived in a cult 'bubble' not the real world.

Pay to play politics

3HO gives 'favored' politicans a guaranteed 'block vote' while the political connections 3HO cultivated under Bhajan's influence are very status quo. 3HO followes a common strategy of donation to both parties to get the benefit of association from official authority figures and institutions. One way or the other Bhajan 'greased the wheels' and ingratiated himself in a trade-off with political offices and security intelligence powers for influence.

Is that the concept of marriage with the CIA and American Sikh Dharma?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:17 am 
CIA mastermind, the late James Jesus Angleton and Yogi Bhajan were cronies. JJ Angleton's only two children, his two daughters, are both high up in the Yogi Bhajan Empire - one of them built her fancy estate right next door to YB's fancy estate, in Espanola. JJ Angleton and Yogi Bhajan spent lots of alone time together, iy is rumored..

Here is a post by forget-me-not, talking about child abuse in Bhajanism:

forget-me-not
Post subject: Re: Yogi Bhajan and children
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:06 am

I've wondered about this quite a bit myself. There's probably not a single reason but several reasons why he would pressure parents give up their children, take the children far away and have them abused.

I have no doubt that the abuse is and was deliberate, but I don't know whether or not the abusers understand that what they're doing is child abuse. People who were abused as children often show a compulsion to act out the abuse when they become adults. When they were young they had to rationalize what was being done to them because to admit to themselves that their parents (their God figures) were out of control was too terrifying to contemplate. When they grow up and become caregivers themselves, they act out what was done to them in order to:

1. convince themselves that what they experienced wasn't so bad, and

2. overcome their deep-seated sense of powerlessness

because deep down they are still very insecure, very angry children.

Alice Miller's book "For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Childrearing and the Roots of Violence" explains the generational effects of abusive child rearing "fads" better than anything I've ever read. I highly recommend it.

Reasons for the abuse:

Yogi Bhajan was friends with JJ Angleton of the CIA and MKULTRA, the CIA's mind control program. MKULTRA did behavioral engineering experiments on humans- many of them children in an attempt to create perfect assassins and espionage agents. They used torture and trauma to break down their subjects psychologically in order to brainwash them.

I think YB was attempting to do achieve something similar with his Khalsa Army. He wanted an army of drones who would serve and lay down their lives without question. He used a number of brainwashing techniques: sleep deprivation, trances and hypnosis, protein deficiency, verbal abuse, etc... to break us down, empty us out and fill us up with his agenda.

The ultimate drones for him would be children who were blank slates. If he could break the parent/child bond early enough he kill two birds with one stone:

1. break and mold the children into being his perfect tools, and

2. break the parents by having them go against their strongest instinct: that of protecting their children. Once broken like that, they would be easier to control in other ways, such as doing unethical and illegal activities for him.

The "school" had to be on foreign soil so that child welfare social services couldn't be called in.

People with experience in proper educational techniques had to be kept out of the school. Only slavish followers of YB were allowed to oversee the children.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:22 am 
Archivist1, as a side issue: I believe that some 3HOSikh men were closeted gays (possible self loathing gays) who married because it was the culture but were devoted to Bhajan because they were desperately in love with him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:17 pm 
Attachment:
HariJiwan YB2.jpg
HariJiwan YB2.jpg [ 54.06 KiB | Viewed 1265 times ]

WE TWO BOYS TOGETHER CLINGING

We two boys together clinging
One the other never leaving
Up and down the roads going, North and South excursions making,
Power enjoying, elbows stretching, fingers clutching,
Arm'd and fearless, eating, drinking, sleeping, loving,
No law less than ourselves owning, sailing, soldiering, thieving, threatening,
Misers, menials, priests alarming, air breathing, water drinking, on the turf or the sea-beach dancing,
Cities wrenching, ease scorning, statutes mocking, feebleness chasing,
Fulfilling our foray.

Walt Whitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:25 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:40 pm 
longago wrote:
Archivist1, as a side issue: I believe that some 3HOSikh men were closeted gays (possible self loathing gays) who married because it was the culture but were devoted to Bhajan because they were desperately in love with him.
You know, I never thought of that before, but you might be on to something. YB's violent homophobia could have been masking his own homosexuality.

He once had four or five men forcibly restrain a young male yoga student and shove jalepenos up his rectum. I was told this by a housemate who witnessed it happen.