It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 am 
American Yogis Distort Sikh Scripture

...The Gurus rejected all yogic philosophies, lifestyles, and exercises, but Yogi Bhajan taught his disciples that yoga was the core of Sikhism. He proclaimed himself "Siri Singh Sahib" and leader of the Sikhs in the West. In a 1977 hukamnama, the Akal Takhat jathedar declared that neither he nor anyone else gave the yogi any title or authority, and later threatened to excommunicate him for his sacrilegious teachings.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 pm 
Happy Baisakhi Day, 2015.

I've made us all popcorn - got plain, got yeasted and/or curried spicy.

This is the first of a series of reports on Bhajanism by Sikh Free Press (a newly launched non-profit, formerly Sikh News Network).

Took fifteen years of on-line activism to get this article published, but we did it!

Bravo, Anju Kaur! And thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:11 pm 
"American Yogis Distort Sikh Scripture" is an outstanding piece.

Thank you Anju Kaur and Sikh Free Press.

And special thanks to the "out" ex-members of Sikh Dharma who are quoted in this breakthrough work:
Pamela Dyson, Pritam Singh and Siri Amrit Kaur.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:09 pm 
Quote:
SFP’s year-long investigation, which includes interviews with several former and current disciples of Yogi Bhajan, research into his many publications, and study of a variety of websites belonging to his disciples and organizations, shows how Yogi Bhajan and Bhajan’s yogis have been, from their beginning in 1968 to today, revising Sikh history in their publications and altering the Divine Message of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib in their translations, to transform Gurbani to better align with the yogic teachings of their master - Yogi Bhajan - the self-proclaimed "chief religious and administrative authority for Sikhism (or Sikh Dharma) in the Western Hemisphere."

American Yogis Distort Sikh Scripture - Sikh Free Press

Thank you, Anju Kaur.
This article is literally mind-blowing. Every sentence is so packed with Truth, it's overwhelming! I'd read a few lines, then ten minutes later find myself staring into space. Took me four hours to get through it; my brain just couldn't process so much powerful information all at once. The only other writing that's ever had this effect on me is the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

What effect will this have on Sikhs with regard to their perception of Bhajan and his followers? The ramifications should be huge. And this is only Part One!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:44 am 
Here is the print version of the 2nd hukamnama issued by Sadhu Singh Baura, Jathedar of the Akal Takhat who presented the siropa to YB in 1971 where he supposedly was given the SSS title. I have pdf and jpeg versions of this but I don'tknow how to post them here. Advice would be appreciated.

Sri Akal Takhat Sahib, Sri Amritsar ji,

10th October, 1977

The title of Singh Sahib or Siri Singh sahib has never been bestowed by me, to any person since 1965 when I was appointed as jathedar, Siri Akal Takhat Sahib, Amritsar.

This is the permanent tradition of Siri Akal Takhat, Amritsar that no such title as Siri Singh Sahib exists or can be bestowed by anyone, including even jathedar, Siri Akal Takhat Sahib, Amritsar.

Sadhu Singh, jathedar, Siri Akal Takhat Sahib, Amritsar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:50 am 
Akal Takhat jathedar's hukamnama admonishing Yogi Bhajan for proclaiming himself "Siri Singh Sahib," Oct. 10, 1977

Excommunication article in the Akaalee Panthkaa newspaper, Jan. 11, 1979

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:58 am 
I posted this on my London UK Sikh forum earlier today and so far - silence. I also posted this article to the Deutchland Kundalini Yoga Teachers FB forum, just a moment ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 pm 
The UK Sikh forum is silent. I don't know if the article has been posted at Gurmat-Learning-Zone yet, but I expect lots of global Sikh silence in response to it.

The private FB German KY Teachers forum started off tense when I posted the article there, with a couple people questioning my motivations and intentions for posting, in German. I explained that I had been invited by the moderator to post the article.

Then a man there asked: What is your opinion about this Kamella Rose Kaur?

I replied: What is your opinion about this Kamella Rose Kaur? Excuse me, but I am right here, no need to talk behind my back in front of me. I didn't write the article, nor did I start the conflicts between Sikhs and Yogi Bhajan followers.

He came back at me, angered, demanding to know why I was accusing him of talking behind my back in front of me.

Thankfully someone noticed that our mounting conflict might be caused by punctuation!

"What is your opinion about this, Kamella Rose Kaur? You were asking my opinion about the article, not asking for others to share their opinions about me?" I wrote, while laughing. "Let's eat Grampa! Let's eat, Grampa! Punctuation saves lives!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:16 pm 
From the German KY private FB page:

What is your opinion about this (article), Kamalla Rose Kaur?

My opinion is that truth is good (not always easy, sometimes painful, but worth it because it is real), reading and discussing all sides is good, coming to cross-cultural respect and understanding is good, and changing in ways that create peace is good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 pm 
From Kundalini Yoga Deutschland, private FB forum:

Since it is a private forum I am only sharing my side of the conversation.

Kamalla Kaur:

Indeed, there is nothing wrong with being Hindu and/or New Age and nothing wrong with practicing and teaching Kundalini Yoga. Sikhs have no problem with any of that, as long as you don't call yourself Sikhs, drop the use of Singh/Kaur and Khalsa from your names, and stop using bits of the Sikh scripture as mantras. As we all know, I assume, Indira Gandhi funded many Hindu Babas and Deras, who claimed to be Sikhs, in her war against Sikhs. Understandably, Hinduization of the Sikh religion is a huge issue for Sikhs and it will continue to be because it led to the genocide of Sikhs, and Indira Gandhi's assasination in 1984.

Kamalla Kaur

Sikhs can only ask, that out of respect for their religion, history, and the Guru Granth, that you not teach, promote or advertise Hindu and/or New Age practices claiming that they are Sikh practices. Obviously, for Sikhs, it is just like a Christian sect calling themselves Jews, claiming that their Christian practices are the “real” Judaism, and that traditional Jews don’t understand “real” Judaism, because their spiritual teacher told them so.

(I lifted the last part of that from still-a-sikh's Open Letter to Bhajanists.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next