It is currently Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
Kamalla Kaur, takes pity, and writes the obvious, so it will remain obvious.

(Since when is anyone concerned with the Sikh vote around these parts? Serves you right. Just saying.)

Nope, this communication is not about votes or elections. It is about how you all, my fellow Bellinghamsters just said I'M SORRY to the Khalsa Panth.

Now how many times in Sikh history has THAT ever happened? Anyone? Anyone?

How many times in the history of the Sikh people has anyone ever apologized and attempted to make amends to the Sikh peoples for past abuse? I have no idea, obviously. I am a beginner, and Sikh history is my weakness. I am best at scriptural studies, but I am no scholar and so I have to ask experts for help. Story of my life. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 pm 
Attachment:
AntionVikramSingh2.jpg
AntionVikramSingh2.jpg [ 29.68 KiB | Viewed 461 times ]

Antion Vikram Singh (formerly Vic Briggs of The Animals)

While I wait to learn from Sikh scholars and history buffs the list, long or short, of how many times in Sikh history a community has ever apologized to the Sikh people for past abuses, I am going to listen to Jap Sahib, the version that Antion Vikram Singh and Sat Kartar Kaur recorded back in the 1980s. I am lead on a project to get Antion Vikram Singh to rerecord this same version of Jap Sahib, except do it better. We will leave the details on what "better" means up to him. Anyone interested can click on the link below and learn about the history of this important Sikh prayer and hymn and learn about the project.

Meanwhile, we can all listen to this version. Gurbani Kirtan is foreign to many Bellinghamster's ears, but Antion Vikram Singh is among the most amazing culture bridgers on earth. A real rock star. A true ragi - and humble too.

Listen to Jap Sahib here. It lasts an hour. It is sung by Sikhs everywhere for courage. Not because it is has any magical properties when you sing or listen to this hymn, but because of who wrote it, what it says, and how the defense-only Khalsa historically sing this hymn together on the battlefield. Kind of of like singing, "We shall Overcome. "

LISTEN TO: Jaap Sahib
Music For Courage

Read about Jaap Sahib and the Jaap Sahib Project

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 pm 
Gurfateh Harjinder Singh,

Make me cry, will you. You know how awful we Irish women look when we have been sobbing. Not pretty cryers. Which is why we are known to be such witches (well, one of the reasons anyway, enuf said.).

Of course I had to share your beautiful song gift to me here, beyond your page where you posted it.

You wrote:
The underneath is specially for my NorthWesternUSA / Irish Sikh ladyfriend ! Kamalla Rose Kaur !

Carrickfergus (Jim McCann with the Dubliners).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:47 pm 
Attachment:
Hair2.jpg
Hair2.jpg [ 125.53 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

HAIR! KESH!

Harjinder Singh, have I ever asked you this before? Were you a Hippie before becoming a Sikh?

Harjinder Singh replies: I was indeed and I saw the musical hair twice in Amsterdam. I also listened to the Mamas and the Papas, Jefferson Airplane etc etc. I was also a reggae and a blues fan, from Johnny Winter to Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. And than that wild woman Janice Joplin !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 pm 
Harjinder Singh writes:

Dearest Kamalla Rose Kaur, this makes them flow for me as well. I have not a drop of Irish blood in my vains, but had a very intimate affair with the country for about 15 years culminating in staying there for three years when I was around the age of thirty ! And when I left the shares op f Guinness breweries dropped ! There are other songs following this one.

Kilkelly
Attachment:
Irish-Clam-Diggers.jpg
Irish-Clam-Diggers.jpg [ 28 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:50 pm 
Attachment:
Humanities-DorisJakobsh.jpg
Humanities-DorisJakobsh.jpg [ 47.75 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

Dr. Doris Jakobsh is the first to jump in an remind us that actually Cananda just asked Sikhs for forgiveness, "Not to the Khalsa in particular," Doris writes, " but to the larger Sikh community."

Oh like Satpal Sidhu ji and me. Very nice.

Oh yes, talk about a short memory. This just happened! Yay Canada, and Yay Bellingham!

Starting to look like we may be the only two times, so far, that anyone has apologized for being horrible to Sikhs.

Komagata Maru apology: Ship's story represents 'dark chapter' of Canada's past
Justin Trudeau to apologize for Canada's 1914 decision to turn away steamship carrying 376 migrants

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 pm 
Attachment:
TulipFestival.jpg
TulipFestival.jpg [ 31.61 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]

Dear Harjinder Singh, I really thought I could not top you, or have any way of impacting you as profoundly as you can slay me. You turn me inside out with Irish Immigrant Folk Ballads. "No fair." I was thinking but then (ping! waheguru!)

Harjinder Singh, The Dutch moved to Whatcom and Skagit Counties here in Washington State. You know what they did? They built dikes, they did, and how we love them, we do, for planting these awesome gardens, they do.

The Skagit Tulip Festival

History of Tulip Festival

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:51 pm 
Amy Glasser, the first person to attempt to respond to your Jail question turned out to be a Gora woman, a cult survivor huge hero of mine.

The first person who responded to the Sikh history question, was Dr. Doris Jakobsh. She is not a Sikh, rather a Sikh Studies history scholar. Then there is me, and many women in my family, and a couple Pickett House ladies, a couple of them charter members. Gora ladies. Gora lady teachers. Nice White Ladies. Come on, give us a break (not you Amy, I am talking about "them") It is wonderful to make us the butt (or lack thereof) of good humored teasing and comedy routines. But actually, I am really proud to come from a long line of Nice White Lady teachers.

You Are Welcome, from Nice White Lady Educators

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
Amy Glasser writes: Very funny. Thanks. We must all learn to laugh at ourselves. It prevents others from laughing at us.

Kamalla Rose Kaur No it doesn't.

My parents taught me that systems, institutions, agencies, governments, companies, philosophies, even languages can be racist, but people - individuals - are bigots, The police department might be racist, but the policewoman is a bigot, or maybe not so bad. I have spent 10 years, often the solo Gora person, often also the only woman, on Sikh internet forums. When a Lummi elder crashes a local white forum, do we suspect him of being a racist? Because he is the only Indian in the room - right? Sikhs think I am all sorts of things, but not that bad as bigots go. Soon as I say something that they don't find amusing, they will let me know. "Psst ji, your white privilege is showing ji. And you have spinach on your teeth."

So, what me worry?

Amy Glasser: OK, they may still laugh at us, but if we are already laughing, it is harder to get angry.

Kamalla Rose Kaur: Hi Amy, Getting angry isn't a problem either. But acting out of anger is often a huge problem for sure.

Sikhs don't care what anyone believes, or says, so much as Sikhs are watching what other Sikhs, and nonSikhs DO. Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship is Gora, The Pickett House ladies are Gora. Most of Bellingham WA is Gora. Not our fault. Just bad birth placement karma. (I'm kidding.) It doesn't matter and it isn't the point. Gora folk may not understand that being Gora isn't a problem, but Sikhs do.

How many nonSikhs reading know the difference between Miri and Piri? Not many. This is fine, because there is no difference.

Likewsie Sikhs may not know the difference between Unitarians, Rotarians, the Lutheran Synods, they could easily confuse Fundamentalist Christians with Evangelical Christians. Frankly Sikhs have our own little theological squabbles, and many Sikhs are still in culture shock.

But Sikhs know who are in the trenches with us.

Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship is under attack because they march in the Pride Parade with their rainbow umbrella drill team. BUF got attacked because they teach, and take, long seminars on what it means to be a racist, a bigot, or just ethnocentric and clueless. They invite nonGora speakers in to preach at them, and the BUF congregation listens, and they commit over and over to be in the front trenches against Hate Crimes. THEN they act with confidence and bravery. Damn Honky Gringos!

The BUF Rainbow Umbrella Drill Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:56 pm 
Attachment:
Rainbow Dastaar.jpg
Rainbow Dastaar.jpg [ 37.59 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

In a first, Sikh leads gay pride parade in Canada with PM Trudeau

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next