It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:55 am 

From Kamalla Kaur: The Guru Nanak Gursikh Gurdwara of Lynden served street Langar to Bellingham's homeless today. KOMO TV didn't cover the story about how Bellingham's homeless are camping at "The Arch of Healing and Reconciliation". In 1907 an angry mob of men ran Sikhs out of Bellingham in the night. Now in 2017 Bellingham police are engaged in nighttime homeless camp sweeps. So the homeless are camped at the Arch site (city hall). They are camped until tomorrow, Dec 18 at noon, when the homeless camp will be forced to move.

They do not have anywhere to move to.

Guru Nanak Gurdwara has promise to bring Langar to the homeless camp - wherever it is - (and Heritage Park) one Sunday a month, every month of 2018. Sleeping bags and blankets and RAIN GEAR and wool socks is what homeless people want for Christmas this year. And to be recognized as humans.

Talk about a flop of a holiday community event. It was completely rained out. I got there at 10:30am to evaluate the set up, and text the Gurdwara with instruction, to bring this and that. I got completely soaked to the skin within five minutes. Five hours later, I found myself complaining to a nice homeless woman I met, "I am so cold and wet and I look dreadful, and those Sikh guys keep taking videos of me, and they are broadcasting them back to the Gurdwara or beyond."

"Oh honey. I know. I know." I got comforted. I confess I discovered that I am just the kind of Honkey, Gringo, Gora Lady (I can call myself that - and my Honkey, Gringo, Gora friends can call me that - but no one else! I mean it!), that complains to a homeless woman about how cold and wet I feel. Now that I am home, with a cozy fire, after a warm bath, with my husband cooking me a nice meal? I am...I feel....?

The CHAI and pakoras were huge hits, but all the Indian food was popular and appreciated. A veteran with PTSD lit up meeting us, because he had been stationed in Bombay, as well as fighting in Iraq. The tent canopies we were all huddled under, and serving food under, keep collecting rain water and dumping it, all at once, on random victims - which was dreadful until it happened to one of the Singhs - then I laughed. My fellow Sikh sevadars- kept taking my photo and videos of me, and calling me Mama (not Mataji - Mama!). I turned at one point, and smiled into the camera and said, "Wahe Guru Ji ka khalsmum wahe guru ji ka fatmmmm". |

Ho Ho Ho! Punjabis tend to belly laugh, like Santa. So I turned back to the camera and repeated "Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh" five times FAST.

This is a Sikh greeting that means something along the lines of "Come, let us serve the Supreme One, because when the Supreme One wins, everyone wins!"

Saying this five times fast is an initiation by tongue-twister - but I did OK. - for a drenched to the bone Pampered Princess of of Mama and Grandmama.

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 am 

So sorry you got rained out. I hope those people catch a break. You're link was broken, maybe this will work:
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article190393214.html#navlink=SecList

Something that might help: The linked article mentions a group called HomesNOW! is attempting to build tiny houses for the homeless. If you have any way to reach them, perhaps suggest that they look into buying used "Park Model" mobile homes. Park Models are small, one-bedroom mobile homes, very popular down here with retirees and single people. They have kitchens and bathrooms, whereas tiny houses often don't have those facilities, and they're usually a LOT cheaper than tiny houses. And harder for people to steal.

HTH!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 am 

Bless you forget-me-not. I am transmitting to four FB Whatcom County political group, two Interfaith groups, several Bellingham churches - and I have achieve there attention. Our scholars are tracking and I am on two FB Global Sikh forums. Running just a little bit late.

Dec. 18, 2018

The homeless camp protest at the of Bellingham's "Arch of Healing and Reconciliation " (http://archofhealing.org/) was evicted at noon today. There were maybe a dozen non campers there to support the campers and maybe help them pack. The Mayor came down and talked to everyone. The City Council are trying very hard but it will be another 6 months before there is hope of changing the laws. Looking for religious groups to help provide land. So the camp broke up and the campers have no place to go - legally. More cold rains (and snow and a freeze) a-coming. The Guru Nanak Gurdwara has promised to serve street Langar to homeless camps and at Heritage Park one Sunday each month in 2018, in addition to serving Langar at the Gurdwara (176 E Pole Road, in Lynden) 11am-2pm every Sunday, as always.

You know me. I was waiting there at High Noon, trying to decorate the ARCH - but it looks so lame - waiting for every Choir in town to arrive today with camera crews and sing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQ4QdFfD3c
But no KOMO TV News, even though Sikhs are tipping them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 am 

Homeless break camp at Bellingham City Hall. Where to now?

Kamalla Kaur writes:

No mention of "The Arch of Healing and Reconciliation" site being right there? No mention of Guru Nanak Gurdwara serving Langar yesterday, or concern about how Sikhs feel/think? FASCINATING.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am 

BREAKING NEWS - We Are In This Together

Sikhi is an anti-caste movement and in India, under the caste system, we Gora folk are Untouchables. White people are Untouchables. The homeless of Bellingham are also Untouchables, and Sikhs are Unotuchables for eating with you and them. .

USA Sikhs don't make it to TV News. How much TV News has the ARCH gotten? Just know that any effort you make to help Santa Claus Singh save Christmas will be much enjoyed by Sikhs everywhere. Sikhs are very pro-science and more like Humanists than anything else I can say, in a super quick generalization.

The Great Guru Granth
Guru Ram Das page 666

The Sants and devotees who serve the Infinite One get all their sins washed away.
Have Mercy on me, my only Master, and keep me in the Sangat, the Congregation that You love.

I cannot even speak the Praises of the Ultimate, the Gardener of the world.
We are but sinners, sinking like stones in water;
grant Your Grace, and carry us stones across.

STAR IN THE EAST
American folk tune from "Southern Harmony", 1835
Reginald Heber, 1783-1826

Vainly we offer each ample oblation,
Vainly with gifts we his favor secure;
Richer by far is the heart's adoration,
Nearer to God are the prayers of the poor.

Brightest and best of the stars of the morning,
Dawn on our darkness and lend us thy aid.
Star in the east, our horizon adorning,
Guide where our infant redeemer was laid.

Cold on his cradle the dew drops are shining,
Low lies his bed, with the beasts of the stall.
Angels adore him, in slumber reclining,
Wise men and shepherds before him do fall.

Star in the East- Cassie and Maggie

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm 

From Kamalla, who asked me to post this.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Bellingham WA Sangatji,

Please stand witness. Take note and WATCH Sikhs attempt to get media attention on behalf of Bellingham's Homeless and Bellingham's beautiful Arch of Healing and Reconciliation.

Very few news articles have been written about the Bellingham WA's Merry Christmas homeless PROTEST at the site of the Arch of Healing and Reconciliation (archofhealing.org). Not one article has mentioned the ARCH, and no one (to my knowledge) has publicly asked Sikhs for our take or thoughts or FEELINGS about PNW homeless camping at the ARCH site - and Sikhi is this world's 5th largest religion.

In 1907 an angry mob of men ran Sikhs out of this town, and now 110 years later, Christmas 2017, Bellingham police are sweeping our homeless camps. In response the HomesNow Protest set up camp at the site of the ARCH (city hall) while our local Sikh, Chinese and Japanese communities are busy planning the grand celebration of the installation of the Arch of Healing on April 21, 2018.

In solidarity with the HomesNow Camp Protest, on December 17, 2017, The Guru Nanak Gurudwara in Lynden WA arrived to serve Langar to Whatcom County citizens and the HomesNOW Camp at the ARCH site. We tipped KOMO News and local media, and let FB Interfaith and local news groups know about Whatcom County Sikh's commitment to the protest, to PNW homeless, and to the homeless globally. No one showed up to enjoy the feast except the homeless. The camp was evicted from the ARCH site the next day - with nowhere to go. I have been relaying messages from Sikhs to the HomesNOW brave sangat, and Sikhs are praying for Bellingham WA.

In 1716 it was made illegal in India to be a Sikh. The whole Sikh Panth fled into the jungles and lived in homeless camps off and on for 48 years. Sikhi teaches that we are all in this together. There is no difference between Bellingham homeless population and any other Bellinghamster - except that Sikhs agree with Jesus and his Sermon on the Mount.

Please WITNESS this Holy-Days Season how the homeless are treated, and how hard it is for them to get media attention. They are treated like Sikhs are treated. Please mobilize. This is GLOBAL NEWS for Sikhs. Sikhs are taking hate crime for Muslims. Sikhs fought bravely in WW2 on behalf of the Jewish people.

Death CAMP alert. Weeks of rain followed by a cold snap is deadly in this region.. A PNW cold snap is when Santa sends cold air down the Frazer River Valley in Canada, from the North Pole and we experience SUNSHINE (oh no!) here in the PNW.

Bole So Nihal - Anyone in ear shot, hear this cry!

SAT SIRI AKAL! - The Truth Will Out, Truth is Incorruptible, Truth is Eternal (God is the TRUTH and the TRUTHFUL ONE).

Kamalla Rose Kaur
Director Chardi Kala Project
Guru Nanak Gursikh Gurdwara
Lynden WA

Joy To The World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xo64Q2ucQ8

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:04 am 

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Just returned from a beautiful, short, outdoor, cold, candlelit, memorial honoring the 32 homeless men and women who have died this year in Whatcom County USA, so far. The memorial service was at City Hall in Bellingham WA,, across the street from The Arch of Healing and Reconciliation site and sign. There were about 45 people, including Michael Lilliquist from our City Council, who read a beautiful statement from our Mayor Kelli Linville. I met some folks from St. Pauls on Holly Street -- bless them.

I mingled before and after, introducing myself, sharing that I was from the Guru Nanak Gurdwara in Lynden. Didn't meet a soul who knew of me, and I only met two or three people who knew about the ARCH. But they didn't understand why I asked why it wasn't being mentioned? I asked them the question I was going to ask Michael Lilliquist, "What is the difference between kicking Sikhs out of town in 1907 and the homeless in 2017?"

Because Michael Lilliiquist knows that we Sikhs defend the poor worldwide, that Sikhs run the biggest community kitchens on earth, that Sikhs have raised so much of money for the ARCH, and Sikhs are (were?) busy planning a big fat Punjabii wedding sort of a celebration, along with our Chinese and Japanese Whatcom County friends..Sorry, but it is against the Sikh religious to be mean to the poor - OR to be honored above the homeless? No. Sikhs don't do that. Can't make us. Many have tried. Many.

I attempted to catch Michael after the ceremony - he escaped me. Not intentionally I don't believe. Sadly Michael no longer appears to be my FB friend either. Which again probably has nothing to do with the ARCH. Can someone message him and ask him what he wants me to tell the Sikh people, and the Guru Nanak Gurdwara? Should we forget the ARCH? Because Sikhs aren't going to break Khalsa vows and lower our ethics. Nope. Not now, not ever. Check our record.

Offline Profile