It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:22 pm 
I had zip/nothing to do with my hometown of Bellingham WA (and Canada) being the first communities in the history of the Sikh Panth to ever say "I'm sorry" for being horrible to Sikhs - Fall 2017.

I just threw the PARTY on 8 Whatcom County FB local politics forums (during election season) and I broadcast the PARTY on Global Sikh forums.

I threw the PARTY after first crashing 8 Bellingham local politics FB forums in response to Belingham being hit with dreadful Swastika attacks - while local Sikhs etc. were preparing to break ground on the Arch of Healing & Reconciliation.

I threw the PARTY after getting confronted - on the more active and interesting of said FB local politics forums - suspected of being a racist, a bigot . Yip, I got confronted by uh...Gora folks suspicious of me, for me being, uh....Gora.

(I'm IRISH!!! OK, who cares, whatever...)

Oh Nanak, you can't make this stuff up. Only by GRACE does life get so silly and sweet and sacred, in the midst of ALL THIS TUMULT. .
- Kamalla Kaur

Attachment:
Arlo.jpg
Arlo.jpg [ 157.2 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

To SIKHS - with love from Bellingham WA
Can't Help Falling In Love With You
Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

BOLE SO NIHAL - Sat Siri Akal

Khalsa Panth,

I am honored to introduce you to Amy Glasser who is running for Whatcom County Council. If she wins she will be working directly and deeply with our famous Whatcom County berry farmers, Sikhs and other.
Attachment:
Vote for Amy Glasser 2.jpg
Vote for Amy Glasser 2.jpg [ 48.34 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

Amy Glasser

Recently I have been out on eight Whatcom County local politics FB groups doing promotion for "The Arch of Healing and Reconciliation" ground breaking ceremony, which was a beautiful beautiful event.

The Arch of Healing and Reconciliation
Bellingham WA

Since then not one person, on any of the forums, has commented on the Arch, except yesterday,

Amy Glasser did this glorious thing, completely unwittingly and innocently. She asked me what the Sikh perspective would be on the following question:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We know that minorities are in jail at a much higher rate than the white population i(n Whatcom County). One thing we can do now is increase training to emergency responders who I am sure have been trained and believe they are doing a good job but the statistics show otherwise. The Census had some other categories but this is the general picture. Asian and white people are proportionally less likely to end up in jail than other minorities and Native Americans and African Americans are significant higher likelihood.

We are doing something wrong but it can be improved because we see the numbers.
Population % arrests Census % of pop
• White 65% 79%
• Black or African American 7% 1.2%
• American Indian 13% 3.2%
• Hispanic 11% 9%
• Asian 1% 4.4%

What do you all think we should do?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Amy," I asked, "are you asking the Khalsa Panth their opinion?"

Of course, she didn't have one clue what that meant, but she wanted to connect with the Guru Nanak Gursikh Gurdwara Sahib Lynden, WA

When Bellingham WA got hit with a horrible Swastika attack couple weeks ago, Amy reached out powerfully to our Jewish neighbors in public posts. As Sikhs the world around know, (or they will after you deliver this message, Harjinder Singh) the 94 year old holocaust survivor Sant Noemi Ban, lives here.
Attachment:
NoemiB.gif
NoemiB.gif [ 49.95 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

The Ray Wolpow Institute for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Crimes Against Humanity
Western Washington University, Bellingham, Washington, USA

Swastikas pop up in Bellingham after bridge signs honoring Confederate soldier removed

Amy just happens to be a very good friend with an anti-cult activist hero of mine. Amy Glasser is backed by my personal circle of nonSikh friends.

I humbly ask the Khalsa Panth, globally, to make Amy Glasser our own beloved candidate and show her how much we appreciate her.

Please answer her question as well.

Big New Jail Not the Solution
by Amy Glasser

Want to Bankrupt Whatcom County? Vote Yes on the Jail Tax.
by David Camp

Prem Ki Jit

Kamalla Kaur

PS. Amy, regarding the Arlo video above, the Khalsa Panth does not drink beer, but they LOVE to party.

Attachment:
Hair2.png
Hair2.png [ 385.04 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:36 pm 
The Arch of Healing & Reconciliation ground breaking ceremony happened completely without me. I didn't have a thing to do with it. I sat on my blanket and ate the yummiest samosas!

It is just that my presentation at the 2015 Parliament of World Religion was called "The Long Strange Trip", about being born in Bellingham and being picked up on a galloping horse ride of a life, returning to my hometown a total mess. Then learning from Hardev Singh Shergill in the year 2000 (age 45) that I was raised in a KKK town and the Bellingham WA is part of Sikh history.

Here is the slow version, work in process:

The Long Strange Trip
by Kamalla Kaur

I couldn't have been more shocked when I learned the history of my hometown. We have only had settlers here for a mere, puny, 150 years. How can we forget history so easily?

I pressed Hardev Singh, not believing him at first. "KKK? I thought the Klan rose up in the Southern USA States. Who were they terrorizing in Bellingham? Hardev Singh ji, we didn't have minorities living in Bellingham when I was growing up. Well except you."

(Another strange synchronicity, Hardev Singh attended Western Washington University, while I attended elementary school on the same campus. We do not remember each other, but we both remember many of the same people from back then. )

Uncle Hardev Singh, giggled. "Kamalla Kaur ji. They were going after the Catholics."

He loves to tease me about how I am Irish.

Holy Smokes!

Bellingham stayed aprox population 32,000 for the 1950s, 1960s, and much of 1970s. It has tripled from that since. Bellingham has attracted many many liberals, while the more conservative newcomers have moved to our neighbor towns.

I was planning on doing promo for the Arch of Healing & Reconciliation, I really was. I was just starting to write an article about the Arch for Northwest Citizen when Bellingham got hit with a dreadful Swastika attack. The Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship had their "Black Lives Matter" themed sign trashed, and the thugs had to break the glass to get to the sign. Horrible boring old stuff was chalked all over their front steps and walk.

I was raised UU, and trust me, UUs feel FINE. Maybe even a bit smug. Bring it ON!

But oh, Guruji why is my life so complicated?

Again, I am a PNW writer who writes lots of local history stories. I am a crochet artist. I am best known for my anti-cult activism. I am a Sikh and I write for Sikh media. Oh, did I mention, that I docent at The Pickett House and that one of the Swastikas ended up on Pickett Bridge plaque? The plaque put there in years past by Pickett House ladies?

Harjinder Singh, here in the USA (as you know of course) we have mobs marching with tiki torches and Nazi and confederate flags (OMG the KKK again). We also have mobs taking down confederate monuments. Sikhs are dying here.

The Pickett House, (which I bet Sikhs everywhere already know about, because you are all a bunch of history geeks), is a USA national history treasure, with a huge anti-racist tradition, that has been preserved for decades by quite humble ladies (progressive and conservative alike, descendants of lumbermen, ferry boat captains and coal miners). And if The Pickett House EVER (past, present, and future), gets left to the city of Bellingham, the city reminds PH ladies every five years or so, that The Pickett House museum will be taken down, and the city will leave another plaque.

Thus instead of writing an article for Northwest Citizen about The Arch of Healing & Reconciliation, I wrote "The Jimmie Pickett Bridge" instead.

The Jimmie Pickett Bridge

(Jimmie, Not George!)
by Kamalla Kaur

Next I crashed 8 local politics FB groups defending old white women - conservative ones. Out on Whatcom County local politics sites, I soon found a town still full of Gora folk. (Reminder, I can call myself Gora - though again I am Irish! And I can call you, Gora, Harjinder Singh. But please ji, pull your Kirpan anytime you hear any Sikh of Punjabi descent anywhere EVER call you, or me, that. It is like the N - word. Only Blacks can use that word. End lecture, to Khalsa Panth. I LOVE this religion)... anyway, I crashed seemingly all white Whatcom County FB groups, where I found myself being attacked some, and shunned some, for being too white in my perspective.

It was absolutely WONDERFUL and hilarious. They really dunna want to be racist on those FB groups. They are grieving and looking for ways to show solidarity with all the cultures we Gora-colonial-empire builders perpetrated genocide on. These newcomers to Bellingham on local political forums are sincere. I am on their side. I am happy they have moved to my hometown. I sincerely mean that.

A week or more, posting on 8 forums at once, responding to every single response I received - defending conservative old white ladies and the oldest bullding in Washington State?

Katka!

Thank you Harjinder Singh, for seeing me, 16 years ago now, crashing all male Sikh internet forums and for offering me refuge on your London Sikh forum where Lord Singh reads my words and lets me know that he knows the whole idea of "Lord" Singh is NOT Gurmat.

Which makes me love him, and he is rather noble. Just that i am an USAer and a Pacific Northwesterner, of Irish descent and....

For our nonSikh audience, Lord Singh is the star of this BBC documentary, he was the keynote Sikh speaker at the 2015 Parliament of World Religion. He is getting very elderly, now, But he will never die, no worries:
Attachment:
Lord Singh.jpg
Lord Singh.jpg [ 33.67 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

The Story of the Turban- BBC

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm 
Attachment:
Amrit.jpg
Amrit.jpg [ 28.2 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

For nonSikh readers (and Amy Glasser). The Khalsa, defense only warriors (they vow never to attack, only to defend others from oppression) - the Khalsa got famous in the West for their valor in WW1 and WW2. In WW2, Sikhs were DEFENDING the Jews and their right to practice their religion freely. Sikhs didn't fight against Germany, Japan, or Hitler, or the Nazis. They fought FOR the Jews.

We born in the West have deep respect, awe and fear for all the great moments the Scots have crested the hill, with their kilts, and bag-pipes (Brave Heart and all that!). Did you know that Sikhs have their own tartan plaid, and their own marching bagpipe bands? Of course they do.

Katka, which I mentioned above, jokingly, is the Sikh martial art, their style of hand to hand combat which they have kept alive since the 1500s. Feel free to GOOGLE it. It is a twirling weapons whirlwind approach to sword fighting.

Facing Khalsa defense-only warriors on the battlefield is terrifying, because they are all already DEAD. Whenever a Khalsa Sikh pulls her or his kirpan (sword) they must KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are NOT acting from fear, or rage or out of revenge. They must fully know that they are defending, not attacking.

It is the moment when Khalsa warriors pull their kirpans that they die. Whatever happens after that doesn't matter. Again, they are already dead. They have zip expectation of survival, and they know they are dying to defend others. No fear of death. Thus Sikhs became world famous (maybe not in Bellingham WA, :) but elsewhere).

Now I do not want anyone who doesn't want to see what crazy fearlessness (and a flair for macho dramatic displays) looks like, to watch this next video. Not recommended viewing for children. It is the video of Katka martial artists who traveled all the way to Solvakia, to compete on the "Got Talent" TV show there, and to bring a message. They came to lose the competition and they lost it but good - and they lost it for very good reasons.

Again, warning. This is NOT Sikhs in their normal mode - Langar and feeding folks is what Sikhs do day to day. Rather this is what Sikhs look like on the battlefield, the face they show to the Nazis (or the Muslim Inquisition foes and other various torturers).

Sikh Bagpipe Band

Katka goes to Solvakia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 pm 
Harjinder Singh, you haven't interrupted me even once yet. What is up with that?

PS - SPEAKING OF WALLS COMING DOWN

I predict (using my amazing magical powers of perception), that the Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship will get this hymn into the UU Hymnal, before these hero women friends die.I actually KNOW these women. They have touched me, and I swear, I will never cleanse my aura again.
Attachment:
Rev.Paul.jpg
Rev.Paul.jpg [ 19.61 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

Reverand Paul Beckle Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship

Hate-related vandalism marks local church, businesses

Attachment:
Tracy Spring.jpg
Tracy Spring.jpg [ 16.29 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

The Wall Come Tumbling Down
Sung by Tracy Spring with friends at the Bellingham Unitarian Fellowship

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm 
Attachment:
Harjinder Singh.jpg
Harjinder Singh.jpg [ 28.58 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

About Harjinder Singh

Harjinder Singh replies: I have liked your post and listened and sang along with great pleasure to Arlo and friends !

The Sikh pipers have been shared !

And so has Arlo Guthrie !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wahe Guru Ji ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh

Harjinder Singh,

There are two kinds of Pacific Northwesterners, there are Canadian PNWers and USA PNWers and they have an ancient, 15 decade, traditional dispute. Just saying, do not be surprised if some USAer from these parts, up and shoots a pig (NO! NOT a real pig. A pretend pig), and takes a row boat over International boundaries and causes a big war with Canada. We have been brewing a boundary dispute for years, maybe we should take a new stand to defend the new border between Mexico and Canada. Of course, I am joking. I just am not always that great at telling jokes. Sniffle.

I am privileged and tremendously humbled to be the first to publicly apologize to the Khalsa Panth for my people on your London UK forum in 2001.

The Arch of Healing & Reconciliation - that is good. Actually it is absolutely WONDERFUL! The Guru Nanak Gursikh Gurdwara Sahib Lynden, WA
has put in $50K ( or is it $100K?) to get it built. Beat that! Please.

I know that the Whatcom Foundation has given $25,000 to the Arch of Healing & Reconciliation, and the Chinese and other communities are all fundraising. The moneys raised beyond the cost of the construction of the Arch will be used to create as many $10,000 college scholarships for minority immigrant young people, as we can conjure up.

But I want to be the very first USA Pacific Northwesterners to apologize to the Khalsa Panth for the fact that USA PNWers are simply not as evolved as Canadian Pacific Northwesterners, and we deserve to be captured and enslaved. Just saying.

Attachment:
JagmeetSingh2.jpg
JagmeetSingh2.jpg [ 23.84 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

In Canada there is Jagmeet Singh. He got elected to office sporting a beard and turban.

Jagmeet Singh and the Heckler

When Ken and I watched this video, Ken said, "Suddenly I totally understand why Sikhs seem to universally run their sounds systems too loud, with feedback."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:40 pm 

Khalsaji,

My other favorite Whatcom County Council local politician will be running for reelection in 2019. He and I are not Khalsa. Everyone I talk to agrees that Satpal Sidhu could not have ever gotten elected in Whatcom County sporting a handsome beard and dastaar. I suspect he doesn't in truth shave, rather he pulls his hair out. In any case I admire him very very very very much.

And more. I admire him more than many Khalsa men I meet. Of course, most of my personal heroes this life have not been Khalsa, they have just been very good people with hair all kinds. I campaign for Satpal Sidhu and I ask the global Khalsa Panth to have his back.

Attachment:
Satpal1.jpg
Satpal1.jpg [ 33.25 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:41 pm 
Harjinder Singh, when I was a little girl growing up in Bellingham WA I dreamed I might one day grow up to be Gladys Knight. You are like all three Pips in one.

Attachment:
Gladys Pips.jpg
Gladys Pips.jpg [ 25.36 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

Harjinder Singh is all three Pips in One.

I Got Brothers from the Wacko World of Yogi Bhajan, who are pips too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:42 pm 
I have posted this article on the most populated and active of the Whtacom County FB local politics groups that I recently visited (crashed). I said, "Here is our Bellingham story coming back at us from India.".

110 years after racial riots against early Sikh immigrants, an Arch of Healing in US city
Sikh historian Seema Sohi, who got her doctorate from the University of Washington and wrote a book about these riots, ‘Echoes of Mutiny’, says there are uncanny parallels between then and now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:43 pm 
Wahe Guru Ji Khalsa Wahe guru Ji Ki Fateh

I know busy urbane Khalsa women and men are sometimes at a loss to know the perfect gift to show appreciation to an eccentric little university border town in the Pacific Northwest of the USA famous for it's "Don't bother about us!" grumpy depressed and SAD (sunlight deficient) citizens.

Here are some ideas beyond the Arch of Healing & Reconciliation, and offering support to a couple of County Council candidates.

Please raise funds for The Ray Wolpow Institute , here in Bellingham, to study the history of genocide of Sikhs in the Punjab, and hate crimes against Sikhs here and abroad.

Please send love notes to Sant Noemi Ban (Bellingham's 94 year old holocaust survivor) through The Ray Wolpow Institute.
Attachment:
Noemi Honored3.jpg
Noemi Honored3.jpg [ 14.91 KiB | Viewed 1194 times ]

The Ray Wolpow Institute for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide, and Crimes Against Humanity

Last edited by KamallaKaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm 
Attachment:
Donovan-Glasser-Aug.jpg
Donovan-Glasser-Aug.jpg [ 34.33 KiB | Viewed 1183 times ]

Hi Harjinder Singh,

Satpal Sidhu is endorsing Todd Donovan and I am endorsing Amy Glasser for the same Whatcom County Council seat. I am celebrating Amy Glasser because I watched her out in the trenches of the Whatcom County FB forums I have been posting on, these last couple weeks.

When Bellingham got Swastika attacked, Amy was the person talking about how Jews are always the first to be attacked. (Sikhs too - right?) . I was impressed with Amy's courage. Partly because I think she is culturally Jewish, and it is so much harder to talk to a crowd about how we should never forget to rally around our Jewish neighbors, when you are yourself culturally Jewish.

Sikhs too need lots of help and support, because USA Sikhs are being verbally abused, dying, being shot, and so forth.

Amy out on one local FB forum (they are also reading this thread) says, "Kamalla likes my politics. This has nothing to do with Satpal or Todd or anyone else. She wants others to consider voting for me because I have been there with the people and have shown that I care about the marginalized both during my 39 year career and now while campaigning. Unlike all the other people running for office currently."

That is true. Thank you Amy Glasser.

The Khalsa Panth understands that my cue to launch a global celebration of Amy Glasser was when she asked an important question and wished me to hook her up with Sikhs.

So I did.

Sikhs are obviously going to really enjoy the first person who asks our opinion. And Sikhs throw these sorts of important and challenging questions out onto our vast cyber-sangat-groups.

The Arch of Healing & Reconciliation is grand. i am proud to be a Sikh. Simply couldn't resist throwing a party. Still can't.

Amy, the Bhangra is a traditional Punjabi dance that has nothing to do with the religion of Sikhi, anymore than Lutherans do the polka as a religious practice. But there are many fabulous Sikh Bhangra dancers on earth.

THE BHANGRA